Not My Burden

2 Corinthians 6:14 warns not to be unequally yoked but I have a confession to make: I totally am.


image from thetruthstandsforever.com

No, that does not mean that I am married or a business partner with someone who is not a Christian. That part of the verse doesn't apply to my situation. The reason I am unevenly yoked is because I am harnessed to someone so high above me.

That someone is Jesus. 

I must confess that Matthew 11:29-30 has always confused me a bit. Jesus is talking and He says: "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” But that is because I never truly understood the whole picture. I thought Jesus was saying that being a Christian is easy, but that didn't make sense to me because life is still hard whether you are a Christian or not. 

from gotquestions.org

Recently in a Bible study we learned about the process that is used to train a young ox. A mature ox is yoked with the young one and teaches the young one to do the work. But the young one isn't really doing the work, because he is so much smaller and weaker than the older one. He is trying and imitating, but it is really the stronger, older one who is pulling most of the weight. 

*Light bulb*

What Jesus is saying in these verses is that if we stick close to Him, He will do most of the work for us. He will carry the heavy load. He will gently guide us in the way we should go. He will also give us the rest we need.

The load that my mind immediately wants to apply this concept to is parenting. Parenting is hard and exhausting work, and all through it I am always seconding guessing myself and wondering if I am doing the right thing. 

These verses are telling me that if I stick close to Jesus, He will help me do it right. If I ask the Holy Spirit to guide me, if I stay in the Father's word, I will be alright. Perfect? No. But having a close relationship with God is the best thing that I can do for my kids.

Stick close to your Creator, mama. He loves you so much and wants to carry your load.

Much love,

Lee

Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget