I Didn't Waste My Time...


We both thought I probably didn't, since we didn't think it had come to our rural area yet. But who knows? That is not what this blog is about. It's about the year that elapsed between then and now.

As I am processing our recent COVID-19 experience (read about that HERE and HERE), the realization that I could have spent this past year very afraid for my husbands' life has hit home.

My husband is a type 1 diabetic. He is overweight. He is high risk.

 Maybe I would have been justified in living the last year in fear for my husband's life. I know other family members were really worried about him. And I'm not saying that doubtful and frightening thoughts didn't pop up every now and then (especially after hearing blurbs of the news). But I didn't let them live in my brain. I kicked them out. And I'm so glad I did!

Because my husband's body handled COVID like a champ. Not that being sick was any fun. It was long and drawn out. However, his immune system took care of the virus the way it should and he is fully recovered and will be back to work soon.


I haven't counted for myself, but I've been told that we are commanded not to fear 365 times in the Bible. That's once for each day of the year! It's like God knows our tendency to worry and wants to assure us that it is not necessary. 

The passage in Matthew 6 where Jesus tells us not to worry about our lives has always been one of my favorite passages. He explains that our worrying doesn't change a thing. He is so right.

Let's imagine that I had spent the last year freaked out. I could have kept my kids and myself away from contact with anyone else. Totally isolated. Guess what would have happened? My husband would have brought COVID home from work anyway.

And let's imagine that COVID had been fatal for my husband. I would have wasted the last precious year of our time together a worried mess. How I would have regretted that!!!

I'm not saying that we should live foolish and reckless lives. Obviously I didn't go out chasing the virus just so I could prove that we were stronger than it. I didn't lick any airplane seats or crazy things like that. But I refused to waste my time. 

The whole heart of this post is to just encourage you, mama, to not live your life in fear. Life throws many challenges our way. Some are what we have worried about, some completely throw us off our guard and we don't have control over that. But we do have control over how we react.

And besides, it's been scientifically proven that worry lowers your immune system. It's like our Creator knows what is best for us.

Fear not, dear mama. He is with you!

Love,

Lee

Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget