Flavorless...

If having COVID has taught me anything, it is that life must be savored. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not because I felt like having COVID was a near death experience that changed my life. Not at all. Like I said last week, I was surprised at how mild COVID hit our family. We've had worse viruses tear through our house in the past. 

The reminder to savor life has been brought to my attention because of one of the side effects of the virus: loss of the senses of taste and smell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trivialize COVID. Maybe it seems silly to complain about these symptoms when so many have lost their lives due to complications spurred on by COVID. My heart really and truly goes out to all who have suffered because of this virus. But guys, dealing with these symptoms really has been one of the hardest parts of the virus for me. 

When you think about it, we only have five senses in which we physically experience the world. When two of those are taken out, that's almost half of our senses! Eating is really just mashing up food and swallowing it when you don't have the pleasure of taste and smell. It's all about texture, and it's kind of gross. You feel like a robot assimilating your fuel. They is no joy in it. Looking at delicious food even loses it's appeal because you know when you put it in your mouth you are only going to feel the food. It's just a yucky sensation, I don't know how else to describe it.

It makes me think about how easy it is to go through life joylessly. We get caught up in the mundane day to day and forget to savor the goodness that is around us. God knew what He was doing when He made food so tasty, when He made flowers so pretty, and when He made the giggle of a child sound so delightful. I can imagine the enjoyment He had when He crafted the ocean and made it's spray smell  amazing. 


He created this world for our enjoyment. It was literally handcrafted just for us. It's not perfect, but it's wild and beautiful and made to awaken all of our senses.

So I just want to remind you, dear mama, to find things to savor throughout the day. Of course we need to do our daily work, but work does not have to be void of enjoyment. Turn on an uplifting podcast or open the window and listen to the sound of your kids playing in the yard while you do the dishes. Throw the baby in the stroller and go for a walk during a break in the weather. Buy yourself one of your favorite types of flowers and plant it where you will see it every day. Play a silly game with your kids. Take time to work on your favorite type of craft. Arrange a date night with your hubby.

You are not meant to be all work and no play. You were created to savor life. Savor it,  mama!

Love,
Lee




Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget