Is it Working?!

 What's that verse "Don't grow weary of doing good"?

Well, Moms, I'm weary. I'm discouraged. I'm tired and I don't know what to do. 

Recently, I've seen positive results of my years of parenting show up. All the training I've put into my children, all the repetition and effort, and I've seen the results. My kids are respectful, responsible, caring, hardworking individuals that I'm so proud of but this morning... This morning I saw something else rise up in one of my children. The long fought, long worked on, still not seeing full results from, fight for honesty.

Honestly.

Why is it so hard to be honest?

Because we are afraid.

One of my kids saw my disapproval and instantly changed her story to throw someone else under the bus, to put the responsibility elsewhere even for an incident that probably would have nothing more than a correction, no consequence, to it. 

I trudged through the lie, trying to find the truth. I unfortunately couldn't believe the whole story because of my child's recent track record of dishonesty and I explained (over explained like I always do) the importance of our words and how awful it is to give blame to someone else who did nothing wrong.

I talked to my husband about the situation. I shared and asked a friend for prayer. Then, I went to prayer. Sitting before the Lord, looking out my sunlit window, and just wanting to cry. "What do I do Lord? I feel so discouraged." I talked out some more of my thoughts on the issue and surrounding issues that made this incident so hard to swallow.

I wrote down a few thankful things after my thoughts. I spoke truth over myself "I'm not alone" and my thoughts responded with But I feel alone. And the Words of God, from the Bible, "Don't grow weary with doing good" came to mind and I couldn't even remember where to find it in the Bible but I thought I need some of that.

What I feel like some times.
Photo Credit: cliffnotesblog.me

This journey of motherhood is a rocky one. So many highs, so many lows. So much joy and so much discouragement. It's the greatest adventure I've ever been on, but, even though I'm a fighter and a lover, I grow WEARY of doing good. I grow tired and frustrated of teaching my children the same lesson in character on repeat. I get sad over the struggle. I sometimes even despise all the work I do when I don't see the results I was hoping for...

BUT, here's some truth for you and I, Mamas, when we feel weary, tired, maybe even mad, during this long journey of motherhood:

"Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest
if we do not give up."
-Galatians 6:9 (NIV)


In the proper time, in the right time, I will see the results, if I don't give up. It may feel like I'm doing the same thing over and over, but like a farmer and his field, it takes tons of time and effort, but in the end there is a great reward. Don't give up!

Much love,
-Joy

Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget