Have a "Mary" Christmas!

No, I didn't spell that wrong. Christmas is just a few days away and I want you to stop...and listen.

I'm sure you have heard the story of Mary and Martha. 


Luke 10:38-42 (New International Version)

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” 

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”



I think Martha was a neat lady. She obviously saw that Jesus was special and invited Him into her home. She wanted to really put on a nice meal for Him and his disciples. She had good intentions. She just got her priorities a little mixed up. 

Sounds like me around Christmas time. Though I think I am doing a little better this year than I have in the past.

Taking time to sit at His feet (aka reading a chapter of Luke with my family every day, worshiping, praying) is helping. I've also decided to do things simpler than I had intended. Imagine if Martha had decided to just throw a cheese and veggie platter on the table and sat down next to her sister and listened to Jesus? Maybe that's what she did after his speech. Or she could have just huffed away and continued being grouchy. We don't know. I'm selfishly glad she didn't do it right away, because I need those words of Jesus!


I want to encourage you, mama, to not just have a Mary Christmas, but also a Merry Christmas. I want you to take time to savor and enjoy the holiday with your family. Watch your favorite holiday movies together. Turn off all the lights and just sit and look at the Christmas tree. Or go for a drive and see how many houses with decorations you can find and debate on which one looks the best. Blast the Christmas music, or do like me and sing all the words (but in the wrong order) a cappella. Make those yummy treats together, no matter how messy it's going to make the kitchen. You can clean up together after you are done. 

I want you to stop and listen to the sound of your children's laughter. Take notice of the joy they have in preparing gifts for their loved ones. Take in the looks of excitement and delight as they open their presents. Like another Mary from the Bible, I want to you treasure these things in your heart.

We only have 18 Christmases with them before they become adults. Let's not spend this time stressing! Let's spend it treasuring.

Lots of love to you, mamas, and have a wonderful holiday!

Lee

Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget