Do You Have the Time?


Mamas, I've not been taking very good care of myself lately.

I've told you before that this is a very busy time of year for me because I make most of the Christmas gifts myself. And it can be exhausting. 

Don't get me wrong, no one is forcing me to make all the gifts. I do it because I love to. But it still takes up a lot of time and energy. On top of the normal stuff that a mama of five (who is still recovering from surgery) needs to do every day.

So what have I traded to make more time for making all these gifts? The kids' school? Nope, still doing that. Basic housework? Nope, that is still happening. And we are still making time to spend with friends and family and go to events, too.

The truth is, it's myself. I've traded myself. Well, more specifically, I'm trading my self care. 

Lately I have noticed that I'm getting a lot less sleep. I'm also not taking the time to make myself healthy and complete meals; I've been grabbing junk food more often. I'm not giving myself much downtime. If I'm "watching" a movie with my hubby, I'm crocheting or sewing or on the computer looking up ideas or patterns for projects. I haven't even been taking enough time to read my Bible, pray, and be quiet before God. And it shows. I feel it. I feel like I am being worn thin by all of this.

What am I to do? 

I need to take better care of myself. I need to flip my priorities. I need to simplify things so I'm not creating a miserable environment for myself and, consequently, my family. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I'm the most important thing in the universe, I'm not who my sole focus should be on, but I need to be a little more wise with my time...by spending a little more time on myself! 


You can't squeeze water out of a dry sponge. I was reminded by a friend this week that we have to allow God to fill us before we can pour out blessings on others. 

I'm sharing this with you because I know what a busy time of year this is for us mamas. We do so much to make this season special for our loved ones. Let's make sure that we allow ourselves time to enjoy it, too. Even if that means we sacrifice some of the things we really wanted to get done.

If it makes the holiday more sacred, its worth taking the time. 

Love and Happy Holidays,
Lee

Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget