Unmet Needs

Why does a baby cry?

When my baby cries, I go through the list: is he hungry, tired, bored, uncomfortable...So on and so forth. And when I find the problem, I do my best to fix it...

When my tween is acting grumpy, I go through the list with her. Are you hungry? When did you last have a drink of water? Do you need some time alone? Do you need me to explain this school work/chore better for you?

We moms are pretty forgiving and nurturing when our kids act out because they have an unmet need. And we are usually pretty good about making sure those needs are met. 

So why, dear mothers, don't we do that for ourselves??? 

My friend posted this on Facebook the other day, and I thought it was so good!

We have all kinds of reasons for why we can't stop and focusing on meeting some of our needs. 

We don't have time for this. If I take the time to take care of myself, how will I have time to do the things I really need to do? 

Mama, you REALLY need to take care of yourself.

If you are feeling tired or frustrated or angry all the time, just like my sweet little baby, you have a need that NEEDS to be met. 

This might mean that you have to let go of some things.  

It's all going to be ok.

You can't draw water from a dry well. You need to put on your own oxygen mask before you can help someone else put on theirs. We've all heard the cliches. 

Just do it, mama.

Lots of love,
Lee

Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget