Seasonal Depression

S.A.D

Seasonal Depression


Well, Fall is officially here in Oregon. 

The rain has broke the heat of summer. The trees' leaves are beginning to fall. 

I LOVE Fall...
The rain, the colorful trees, the cozy days, and school.

I HATE Fall...
The days get shorter and darker and I get sadder.

It wasn't till last year that I realized my annual gloom was actually seasonal depression. Every year, I would get sleepy, unmotivated, and sad, yet I never caught on to why.

Then it came again last year, as Fall began, and my husband mentioned "Yeah, this happens to you every year." 

"What?!?" I said in surprise, "It does??"

And that's how I learned I had S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder).

Now, that I know that I can be proactive:

I have a quality Happy Light that my Aunt gave me that I turn on in the mornings which breaths life and sunshine into me. I make sure to get outside even if it's not bright and nice weather. I make effort not to withdrawal and continue to do my normal things...

It's hard though and I feel grouchy and irritated easily... and sad.

First of all, I'm so grateful that my husband pointed this fact out to me so that I can face it head on and be intentional.

Second, I'm so grateful it has an ending. Sure, the Fall is rough and Winter is the worst! But when Spring comes and the rain begins to meld with the sun, my spirits are lifted and I'm so grateful for that.


I was reading Psalm 30:5 the other day and I thought it was so beautiful. "Sorrow may last for the night, but joy comes with the morning light."

Whatever struggle or sadness you face, it's not forever, it's for just right now. There will be a time it improves, gets better, is made new. Don't give up. Keep moving forward.

Much Love,
-Joy

You might also enjoy:
Do the Opposite of What You Feel

Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget