Lee's Podcast Picks

We parents need support and encouragement. I hope that you are finding that in this blog. Maybe you have other blogs that you follow, too. Friends and family are good support sources. Moms groups are great, whether its something formal like MOPS or just meeting other moms for playdates. Another thing that I find really helpful is podcasts.

Whenever I am cooking or doing the dishes, my phone is usually propped up on my kitchen windowsill. 


Maybe your question is, how does a busy mama find time to listen to podcasts? Well, I'm not going to lie and say that it is easy to do. Sometimes it takes three sessions to get through one episode because I am repeatedly interrupted by my children's needs. However, I find the best time is either when I am washing the dishes, folding laundry, or soaking in the tub. Sometimes I listening the car, but I rarely drive the car alone and when the kids are with me they always want to listen to audiobooks. When I am healed I am hoping that I will be able to take evening walks and listen then. Seems like I'm always able to find a way to squeeze them in, even if it's not exactly when I want. 

Why do I find podcasts necessary? Well, I want to share my favorite ones with you and tell you how each one helps me.

1) Focus on the Family: I grew up listening to Focus on the Family on our local Christian radio stationed and found them so helpful, and I am so thankful to be able to listen to their podcasts now. They cover so many relevant topics: parenting, marriage, abuse, ect. Even if the topic is something that I do not personally relate to, I will often listen in so I can receive tips on helping people who do, or at least be equipped to refer them to the podcast. If you don't already listen in, you should check it out!

2) Trim Healthy Podcast w/ Serene and Pearl: I follow the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan (most of the time) and find their podcasts so encouraging to help me stay on plan. But even if you don't following their eating plan, the ladies share a lot of well researched information on health. They are also just a lot of fun to listen to because of their personalities.

3) From Our Home to Yours: This podcast features Nancy Campbell, the founder of Above Rubies magazine. Her main ministry in life is to encourage wives and mothers and she has been doing it for many many years. She has very strong views on very controversial subjects (like birth control and politics), but her heart for helping women really shines through it all. I've been subscribing to her magazine for many years and am happy to have the podcast to listen to now.

4) Evidence Based Birth: I just discovered this podcast a few months ago when my midwife mentioned it to me, but I think I will continue listening in after my baby is born because it will be helpful for my doula work. This podcast is hosted by Rebecca Dekker (PhD, RN) and she has compiled all kinds of information about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum that is based on solid studies on the subjects. Even if you aren't pregnant, you may want to scroll through the list of episodes and see if anything strikes your interest. 

5) James MacDonald: I also grew up listening to James MacDonald on our local Christian radio station. I love how straightforward he is about the word of God and the Christian faith. He doesn't beat around the bush and openly shares what he is convicted to share. 

6) The Serene and Pearl UnShow: This podcast is only released once a month and is full of rabbit trails and silliness (with good nuggets of truth mixed in). It pretty much makes me laugh and smile the whole way through. Listening to it feels like a good visit with fun friends. We need to just laugh and cut loose sometimes, don't we?

I use the Podcast app to listen to these, but I'm sure they can be found on other apps as well. Or you can google the name of the show and open it up in a web browser. Podcasts may not be your thing, but I hope you will give a few of these a try. Might be just what you need today.

I would love to hear what Podcasts you find helpful. Please share in the comments!

Blessings, 
Lee

Comments

  1. I also love the Trim Healthy Podcast and the Unshow - Serene and Pearl's relationship reminds me so much of me and my sisters and they always make me smile. I also like the Young Wife's Guide with Jami Balmet, and Heidi St John's podcast. Jami's has tons of practical advice and encouragement for moms with young kids and she's super relatable. Heidi's is a lot of stuff about current events and how Christians can/should respond. I love listening to podcasts while I work out, do laundry, or work on a craft project. I don't listen as much as I'd like but I'm always encouraged when I do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget