Words

Words.

They are powerful.

The person who made up the childish rhyme “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” was a liar. Whomever it was, they were just trying to cover up the fact that the words really were hurting them. We can all think of times that words have cut us deeper than any weapon could.

We’ve also probably all seen the studies that have been done with plants. The plants that have been bullied or talked harshly to do not thrive as well as plants that are treated kindly. Considering that we are made in the image of God, and God SPOKE the world into existence, it makes sense that our words would be powerful. 

I’ve been thinking about the power of words for a long time. And I could very easily beat myself up for all the wrong ways that I have used my words, especially in parenting. But I’m not going to. And I don’t want you to, either. Instead, I’m going to focus on how I can improve myself. 



I love this quote from Mark Twain. It challenges me to give out as many heart-felt compliments as I can. Not cheap compliments of course. Sincere ones. I want to lift people up with my words, not tear them down. 

Proverbs 16:24 says: “Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.”

Those are the kinds of words I want to have. Instead of looking at my kids’ rooms and saying, “This is such a mess, how can you live like this?” I want to be the kind of mama who says, “Honey, I need you to work on your room so none of your things get damaged or lost. Why don’t you start with picking up 50 things and see how much better it looks?”  

It can be so challenging for me to rearrange my words so they are productive, but I know that I can do it. I don’t want angry and frustrated words to haunt my kids’ memories of their mama. I’m aiming for those sweet and healing ones. 

Another of my favorite verses is Psalm 19:14: “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.”  

That’s my prayer for me today.


I hope you have a wonderful day!

Lee



Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget